- 140g butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- 100g raisins
- 3 large beaten eggs
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 5 tbsp milk
- 250g self-raising flour
- 25g butter for topping
- 1 rounded tbsp plain flour for topping
- 25g light muscovado sugar for topping
- 1 rounded tbsp roughly chopped hazelnuts
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/Gas 3. Butter and line the base of a 2 litre tin with baking parchment. Tip the flour and spice into a food processor and add the butter. Whizz to make fine crumbs, then mix in the sugar. Tip into a mixing bowl and stir in the raisins, eggs, apples and milk. Mix well until everything is evenly combined, then spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- To make the topping, rub the flour, butter and sugar through your fingers to make a rough crumble, then stir in the nuts. Sprinkle evenly over the cake mixture and bake for 50-55 minutes, until firm to the touch and a fine skewer into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.